Monday, December 31, 2007

Priest's Due Deuteronomy 18 part 1

Moses under the Lord's guidance, again explains the position of the Levites in the kingdom.

Deuteronomy 18:1 "The priests the Levites, and all the tribe of Levi shall have no part nor inheritance with Israel: they shall eat the offerings of the LORD made by fire, and his inheritance."

All the other tribes were given land and what is left of their labor after the sacrifices and offerings. The tribe of Levi is to minister in the tabernacle and receive their portion through that which comes into the tabernacle.

It may seem unfair but in reality it is not. First of all, everything belongs to the Lord. So the Levites are not poor. They are living by their faith and not by the works of their hands.

v3 Of every sacrifice the priest get the shoulder, two cheeks and the maw. Maw is the stomach of an animal that chews the cud.

v8 "They shall have like portions to eat, beside that which cometh of the sale of his patrimony."

Patrimony refers to personal property that has been in the family.

I heard a story once which seems to fit well here.

An Old evangelist was hitchhiking to a revival meeting when a man in a nice Cadillac stopped to give him a ride. They exchanged greetings and then settled down to ride for a while. Finally the driver of the nice car looked at the preacher and began to talk. "Preacher, I admire what you are doing but I have a question." "Ask it." The preacher told him." "Well, you are serving the Lord as best you can. You seem to be very dedicated. Isn't it irritating that you have to hitchhike to revivals while I, a man of means has so much and you have so little. Look, I've got this nice car, money in my pocket and a big bank account. I go in comfort where ever I go." The preacher thought for a moment then replied. "That's one way to look at it." He said. "I look at it another way. We are both riding in the same car and will both get to where we are going. You have car payments and I have none. You buy gasoline and I buy none. You have to drive and I can sit here riding while I read my Bible. I think I am more blessed."

Well, that's my story. The Levites are not poor, they have but to serve the Lord to received all their needs.

Psalms 119:173 "Let thine hand help me; for I have chosen thy precepts."

No comments: