Monday, March 17, 2008

Samson's Wife Judges 14

Judges 14:16 "And Samson's wife wept before him, and said, Thou dost but hate me, and lovest me not: thou hast put forth a riddle unto the children of my people, and hast not told it me. And he said unto her, Behold I have not told it my father nor my mother, and shall I tell it thee?"

Samson saw a woman of the Philistines that he liked very much and wanted for his wife. His parents tried to discourage him marrying one not of his own people. v3 Samson went to Timnath to see her and was confronted by a young lion. He slew the lion by ripping it apart. v6

After his first visit to the woman, he came back later and found honey in the carcase of the lion. v8. He ate of it and gave some to his parents but did not tell them of the kill or where he got it. v9

It was the custom to have a feast when a wedding was made and so Samson's family arranged the feast.

Samson made a riddle concerning the honey and the lion and placed a wager that no one could answer it. His wife, however, was a Philistine still. She wept before Samson for seven days. Finally, he told her the answer and she went straight to her people. They therefore won the bet and Samson had to pay.

v20 "But Samson's wife was given to his companion, whom he had used as his friend."

Psalms 102:11 "My days are like a shadow that declineth; and I am withered like grass."

keywords: Bible Study, Old Testament, Judges, Samson, Philistines, Milton Southerland

No comments: