Thursday, April 03, 2008

Boaz Redeems Ruth Book of Ruth 4

Ruth 4:9 "And Boaz said unto the elders, and unto all the people, Ye are witnesses this day, that I have bought all that was Elimelech's and all that was Chilion's and Mahlon's of the hand of Naomi."

The scene is this, that Boaz wen to sit at the gate of the city where business was conducted. He saw the nearest of kin to Naomi and Ruth and invited him to sit with him. Boaz told the man that Elimelech had left a field and that he should purchase it as the next of kin.

The man at first said he would, then Boaz told him of Ruth and that she was part of the deal. The man then decided he could not do the part of the next of kin.

v6 "And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, lest I mar mine own inheritance: redeem thou my right to thyself: for I cannot redeem it."

The very thing Boaz wanted which in this case of a person, Ruth, was what stopped the nearest kinsman from redeeming the property.

mar: detract from the wholeness or perfection of, injure, hurt harm, damage impair, blemish (Webster)

The next of kin thought the purchase of the land with Naomi and Ruth would hurt his inheritance. He could not have been more wrong but it worked out correctly. Boaz married Ruth and their descendants are listed: Obed, Jesse, David .

v13 "So Boaz took Ruth and she was his wife and when he went in unto her, the LORD gave her conception and she bare a son.

Obed: worshipper

Psalms 9:1 "I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart, I will shew forth all thy marvellous works."

keywords: Old Testament, Bible Study, Ruth, Naomi, Boaz, Israel, Milton Southerland

No comments: