Thursday, June 19, 2008

David's Return to Jerusalem II Samuel 19

II Samuel 19:11 "And king David sent to Zadok and to Abiathar the priests, saying Speak unto the elders of Judah saying, Why are ye the last to bring the king back to his house? seeing the speech of all Israel is come to the king, even to his house."

There is so much in this chapter that we will have to break it down by subject:
-Joab
-Israel and Judah conflict over bringing David back to Jerusalem
-Amasa
-Mephibosheth

v1 "And it was told Joab, Behold, the king weepeth and mourneth for Absalom."

The king was upset over Absalom and went privately to weep but the people heard of it and were distressed instead of being happy for their victory. Joab was upset with David for causing the people stress and confronted him, a little too boldly I think. But the king did come down to the gate and greet the people.

v5 "And Joab came into the house to the king, and said, Thou hast shamed this day the faces of all thy servants, which this day have saved thy life, and the lives of thy sons and of thy daughters, and the lives of thy wives, and the lives of thy concubines; v6 In that thou lovest thine enemies and hatest thy friends..."

Quiet bold I'd say. Maybe it was not the time to weep for Absalom but it was Joab who killed him against the king's wishes. I had a colonel once who called me by my first name instead of by my rank (Marines). I was flattered but I never called him Joe. He was sir to me, no matter what he called me. I think a subordinate can get too familiar with his leader.

David did not got marching back into Jerusalem after his victory. He wanted to be asked to come back. Israel now remembered the victories David had won for them and was ready to bring him back even though they had rebelled against him. Judah had not done so and David rebuffed the for it.

v12-13 "Ye are my brethren, ye are my bones and my flesh: wherefore then are ye the last to bring back the king? And say ye to Amasa, Art thou not my bone, and of my flesh? God do so to me and more also, if thou be not captain of the host before me continually in the room of Joab."

It seems Joab has been demoted and replaced with Amasa. Amasa is mentioned in chapter 17 verse 25. "And Absalom made Amasa captain of the host instead of Joab: which Amasa was a man's son, whose name was Ithra an Israelite that went in to Abigail the daughter of Nahash, sister to Zeruiah Joab's mother." See also I Chronicles 2:17. This Abigail was not the wife of David but another who was the sister of Joab's mother. Amasa was Joab's first cousin I think.

It was told David that Mephibosheth had gone over to the other side by Ziba but he had not. He had intended to ride to David but Ziba took his donkey and he could not walk because of his lame feet.

v25-26 "And it came to pass, when he was come to Jerusalem to meet the king, that the king said unto him, Wherefore wentest not thou with me, Mephibosheth? And he answered, My lord, O king, my servant deceived me; for thy servant said, I will saddle me an ass, that I may ride thereon, and go to the king; because thy servant is lame."

The old argument started up again over who the king belonged to Judah or Israel. The next chapter tells of the trouble that caused.

v43 "And the men of Israel answered the men of Judah an said, We have ten parts in the king and we have also more right in David than ye: why then did ye despise us, that our advice should not be first had in bringing back our king? And the words of the men of Judah were fiercer than the words of the men of Israel."

One day they followed Absalom and sought to kill the king, the next they are ready to kill each other over him. It would have been a good thing for them to just settle down and enjoy the land that flowed with milk and honey.

Psalm 51:8 "Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice."

keywords: Old Old Story, Bible study, Old Testament, Samuel, David, Joab, Israel, Judah, Amasa, Mephibosheth, Milton Southerland. David returned to Jerusalem to more strife between Israel and Judah.

No comments: