Thursday, July 10, 2008

Solomon Builds Temple I Kings 6

I Kings 6:11-14 "And the word of the LORD came to Solomon saying, Concerning this house which thou art in building, If thou wilt walk in my statues and execute my judgments and keep all my commandments to walk in them; then will I perform my word with thee, which I spake unto David thy father, And I will dwell among the children of Israel and will not forsake my people Israel."

Solomon's temple was probably man's best effort to imitate the majesty of God's dwelling place in the heaven of heavens. The temple is not referred to as much as the tabernacle is in regard to the typology of the Christian. It was, however, a marvelous structure. God in his grace, honored the efforts of David and Solomon by shedding his grace on the place, as we will see later.

At our best though, we can only imagine the glory God is surrounded by in his dwelling. It must be something to see. I think he is pleased when we give the best we have as Solomon did here.

II Corinthians 6:16 "And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God, as God hath said, I will dwell in them and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people."

So, isn't it wonderful, as we study the beautiful place Solomon built, that God has chosen to instead dwell in us as Christians. You may be, but I can say, that I am neither beautiful or good to look upon. Yet the LORD is willing to dwell inside me and guide me. It's wonderful.

Indeed, as Paul said, the things we see, even the majesty of the temple, are but a shadow of what we will see when we reach heaven.

Hebrews 8:5 "Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount."

I wonder if Moses got to peek into heaven and see how it really was as compared to the pattern of things built on earth.

Some facts about the temple: It was started in May and finished in November. Solomon started in the 428th year after Israel left Egypt or the passover. In his fourth year as king. And finished it in his 11th year as king. It was 90 feet by 30 feet and 45 feet high. A cubit is 18 inches. He also built porches and small rooms around it which would have made it appear larger. He took great pains with gold and brass and cedar and stones. Carvings were done and cherubs were made with wings spread. I suggest reading both chapter five and six to get a picture then flip over to II Chronicles 3 for a different narrative.

The deal was for Solomon to obey God and walk in his ways if God was to dwell in the house. There is a sad story in Ezekiel where the LORD had to leave because of idol worship.

Ezekiel 8:6 "He (see verse 2) said furthermore unto me, Son of man, seest thou what they do? even the great abominations that the house of Israel committeth here, that I should go far off from my sanctuary? but turn thee yet again and thou shalt see greater abominations. v10 So I went in and saw and behold every form of creeping things, and abominable beasts and all the idols of the house of Israel, portrayed upon the wall round about."

Isn't it so sad that this beautiful sanctuary built for the LORD could be turned into a playhouse for the devil. Man's heart is always toward evil and we desperately need a Savior.

Romans 1:21-22 "Because that when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful but became vain in their imaginations and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools."

v14 "So Solomon built the house, and finished it."

Psalms 8:3-4 "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of an, that thou visitest him? v5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels and has crowned him with glory and honour."

Keywords: Solomon's Temple, Old Old Story, Bible Study, Old Testament, Israel, Kings. Solomon built the temple.



No comments: