Monday, September 29, 2008

Adam to Dukes of Edom I Chronicles 1

I Chronicles 1:19 "And unto Eber were born two sons; the name of the one was Peleg; because in his days the earth was divided: and his brother's name was Joktan."

The chapter starts a genealogy beginning with Adam then splits off with the children of Abraham. There are other branches of Adam in the world but the Bible centers on the descendants of Abraham (Shem's line).

These first chapters are difficult to read. The names all have meanings but I have picked out this one because the definition is given in the verse: Eber: in his days the earth was divided. Genesis 10:25 We have read how after the flood the waters were gathered together in one place which to me would mean one ocean but here we see that the earth was divided. Perhaps, and I believe so, this was when we got our two oceans. Perhaps the native peoples we encountered upon discovery of America were descendants of those already there when the earth divided. I can't say, I was not there at the time.

v48 "And when Samlah was dead, Shaul of Rehoboth by the river reigned in his stead."

I just picked this verse because he ruled down by the river. I thought it might sound like he loved the country type area more than the big city. Rehoboth is mentioned in other places of the Bible, best I can remember.

Matthew is another place to find genealogy verses about the line of David and Jesus Christ.

This chapter takes us from Adam to Noah and tells us about the sons of Japheth, Ham, Shem, Ishmael, Keturah, Esau, Kings of Edom, Dukes of Edom.

Psalm 5:3 "My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O LORD; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up."

Keywords: Chronicles, Adam, genealogy, Israel, Abraham, Bible Study. Starting in Chronicles one with the genealogies.

No comments: