Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Elihu Job 32

Job 32:2-3 "Then was kindled the wrath of Elihu the son of Barachel the Busite, of the kindred of Ram; against Job was his wrath kindled, because he justified himself rather than God. Also against his three friends was his wrath kindled, because they had found no answer, and yet had condemned Job."

The name Elihu means God himself.
Ram (the best I can figure) was the brother of Abram (Abraham) Genesis 22:21 (A'ram).

Elihu was sent in response to one of Job's pleas. See the next chapter verse 6 "Behold I am according to thy wish in God's stead; I also am formed out of the clay." Chapter 9:32.

We can safely say that Elihu has been with the older men throughout the whole ordeal. He is younger than they and has respectfully kept quiet while they battered back and forth.

v7 "I said, Days should speak, and multitude of years should teach wisdom."

Now that the older men have exhausted their words Elihu takes a turn but not simply as a bystander. He even attended to there needs. v12 "Yea, I attended unto you, ..." He is there under the inspiration of God.

v 18-19 "For I am full of matter, the spirit within me constraineth me. Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent, it is ready to burst like new bottles."

I thought of another man who appeared seemingly out of nowhere. Genesis 14:18 "And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine; and he was the priest of the most high God. Hebrews 7:1 "For this Melchizedek, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; v2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation king of righteousness, and after that also king of Salem, which is King of peace;"

I would not call it a mystery, although that word came to me, rather it is an unusual personality that comes on the scene. He is filled with wisdom to the point of closing the mouths of these elder wise men.

v16 "When I had waited, (for they spake not, but stood still, and answered no more;)" This statement got me to thinking that Elihu may have recorded the book of Job. His statement here is in the first person as were some other prophets when they were rebuilding the wall of Jerusalem.

It is as if these men say Elihu in a new light. Elihu had been in attendance and silent. I suppose that is the way of the elder. They expect the younger to be silent and mostly that is appropriate when older people are talking but it is not always God's way. Paul told Timothy to not let them despise his youth. Even Jesus was a young man and I expect that is one thing that rubbed the elder priest the wrong way. They could not withstand his wisdom but still he was just a youngster, so they were confused as to how to handle it. It would be good to take serious note of a name that starts with Eli. Remember Elijah, Elisha?

Well enough on that track. Elihu is on the scene. He speaks with the wisdom of God and we will listen.

Psalm 51:10 "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."

Elihu takes over the conversation with Job and his friends.

No comments: