Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The Child Isaiah 9

Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder; and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The prince of Peace."

All along Israel was punished for rebellion during the reign of the kings. Finally, the nation split and Israel turned totally to idols and took league with other nations against Judah (their brethren). These great prophets are sounding the warning though out the land but we don't know how many heeded the warnings. As a nation though, the sin even entered the streets of Jerusalem and into the house of the Lord. So, a great punishment came upon the nation and they were scattered.

v1 "Nevertheless the dimness shall not be such as was in her vexation, when at the first he lightly afflicted the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, and afterward did more grievously afflict her by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, in Galilee of the nations."

Now we look beyond the scattering to a time when redemption would come to the nation and even beyond the time of Christ on earth the first time to another time when he would reign from David's throne.

v2 "The people that walked in darkness have seen a great light; they that dwell in the land of the shadow of death, upon them hath the light shined."

Verse 1 mentions Galilee and then verse 2 refers to the work of Jesus in the area.

Matthew 4:14-16 "That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the Prophet, saying, The land of Zebulun, and the land of Naphtali, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles; The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up."

I found a verse and a phrase that sounded very said to me. I don't know where it applies but to me it sounds like Israel as Christ came there: v3 "Thou hast multiplied the nation, and not increased the joy;.."

Then we come to verses that repeat a phrase several times: v12, v17, v21 and into the next chapter. The phrase reads: "...For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still."

Do you remember, or did it happen with your parents that they said "I love you but I have to punish you." or "This will hurt me more than it hurts you." I spanked my children. Not because I hated them but because I loved them. I would hit my own leg to judge the degree of punishment so I would not harm them in a permanent way. I think I always hit myself harder. So here we find that the Lord is still angry but also he has his hand stretched out in love.

I cannot help but think of Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

So we see the punishment of Israel and Judah being described by Isaiah but several times he tells us that the Lord's hand was stretched out during the process and was prepared to help Israel if they would only repent, which means to turn away.

v21 "...but his hand is stretched out still."

I'll relate a personal story here: I was very young as were my siblings. We had to, for some reason, separate some pigs from their mother. The mother pig did not like the idea and started chasing me. I ran as hard and as fast as I could but came to the fence which was too high for me to jump and there was no time to climb. I looked back to see the big hogs mouth wide open and ready to bite off my leg or worse. I raised my hands for help, not knowing if anyone was near. With my eyes glued on the wide open mouth, strong hands grabbed my up stretched arms and pulled me to safety. It was my dad. I did not know where he was but he knew where I was and helped me. I think the Lord helps us when we have gone as far as we can go in our own strength and wisdom and we are reaching up for help, knowing we cannot save ourselves.

v21 :,,,but his hand is stretched out still."

No comments: