Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Trouble & Comfort - Jeremiah 30

Jeremiah 30:1-2 "The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD God of Israel, saying Write thee all the words that I have spoken unto thee in a book."

From our studies, we remember that there were other prophets which were false prophets during the time that Jeremiah was preaching. I find no books by their name. Jeremiah's words from the LORD have stood the test of time. We can look back and Israel can look back and see that Jeremiah was the true prophet and that the words of the LORD were true.

V 3 "For, lo, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will bring again the captivity of my people Israel and Judah saith the LORD; and I will cause them to return to the land that I gave to their fathers, and they shall possess it."

Seventy years is a long time and so we know that most of those taken into captivity will not return (did not return) but the nation returned.

Israel is afraid and trembling. The people are afraid. There is a lot of comfort in this chapter for them. Although this verse stands out:

v7 "Alas, for that days is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it."

For the sake of space, I will hit some highlights:

v11 "...and will not leave thee altogether unpunished."

v17 "For I will restore health unto thee, and will heal thee of thy wounds..."

v19 "...they shall not be few, I will also glorify them, and they shall not be small."

v20 "...I will punish all that oppress them."

v22" And ye shall be my people, and I will be your God." See also Ezek. 36:28

So the book is written. We can look back at the words and say that it was so. This verse perhaps also refers to a future time when Israel will look back at many things that are written and will consider them.

v24 "The fierce anger of the LORD shall not return, until he have done it, and until he have performed the intents of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it."

It reminded me of an old song: We will understand it better by-and-by.

No comments: