Friday, March 28, 2008

Naomi Goes Home Book of Ruth 1 b

Ruth 1:7 "Wherefore she went forth out of the place where she was, and her two daughters in law with her; and they went on the way to return unto the land of Judah."

Naomi must have got to thinking about the future of her daughters-in-law. For she began to talk to them about going back to their homeland instead of going on to Judah. Naomi's argument was that there was nothing else for them with her. They should go back and find a husband and live a happy life.

v14 "And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Oprah kissed her mother in law, but Ruth clave unto her."

So Oprah returns to her people but Ruth refuses to leave Naomi. It was then that she made the famous statement concerning her commitment to her. It has been used widely in wedding ceremonies.

v16 "And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:"

The phrase 'whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge' has often been quoted but I think the most important thing Ruth said was 'thy God my God'. Naomi in her distress had told them to return to their people and their gods but Ruth made the most important decision of her life by turning to the one true God.

v19 "So they two went until they came to Bethlehem. And it came to pass, when they were come to Bethlehem, that all they city was moved about them, and they said Is this Naomi?"

Naomi received a warm welcome home and Ruth was accepted with her. It was the beginning of barley harvest and they had to eat.

Special note should be taken that they came to Bethlehem since Ruth will marry Boaz who is in the line of Christ as well as David the earthly king.

I would like to address something that has bothered me for years. I've heard it preached that Naomi came home ashamed for leaving and that she paid the price of a backslider Christian. I disagree. Naomi was exactly where she was suppose to be. She was with her husband and family. Her husband did what his forefathers did before him, he left a famine looking for food for his family. Abraham did it. Jacob did it. Joseph and Mary also took Jesus to Egypt to escape the killing of the newborns. I find the story of their departure and return to be a beautiful story and with several applications. One of which is similar to Israel's escape from bondage and entering into the promised land. It could also have taken place to protect the bloodline of Christ.

Psalms 101:2 "I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come untome? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart."

key words: Bible Study, Old Testament, Ruth, Naomi, Ruth, Israel, Milton Southerland

No comments: