Tuesday, June 24, 2008

David's Song II Samuel 22

II Samuel 22:1 "And David spake unto the LORD the words of this song in the day that the LORD had delivered him out of the hand of all his enemies, and out of the hand of Saul: v2 And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliver; v3 The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour: thou savest me from violence."

David is getting very old. He fainted in battle in our previous chapter and was told by the people that they would not let him go on the battlefield anymore. You can refer to Psalm 18 also for this song.

There is so much in this song. A teacher or preacher could glean a number of outlines from it. I personally noticed the text verses where David describes who the LORD is to him: rock, shield, salvation, hightower, refuge, saviour. A hightower would certainly be valuable in those days so they could see far and what the enemy was doing. But also, a refuge when there was no other place to run. A shield when the enemy strikes. A saviour to reach down and get you when there was no hope.

Then there are the things David faced:

v5-6 "When the waves of death, compassed me, the floods of ungodly men made me afraid; The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me;"

I'm sure David was familiar with death staring him in the face but he has been a warrior for a long time and although he was killing the enemies of Israel, I also think he just got tired of seeing all the death before him. Then he prayed: we know that David prayed a lot. The results are shown in the next verses.

The LORD got involved and David describes the way it looked to him.

v8 "Then the earth shook and trembled: the foundations of heaven moved and shook, because he was wroth. v9 There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of the mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it. v10 He bowed the heavens also and came down, and darkness was under his feet."

This is the picture of an angry God who came down to help his anointed when enemies tried to defeat him. The chapter goes on to tell of the deliverance. it is beautiful to read. Just a short outline here: v7 the LORD did hear v10 He came down. v18 He delivered.

v51 "He is the tower of salvation for his king, and sheweth mercy to his anointed, unto David, and to his seed for evermore."

The last part is a reminder to us of the Davidic Covenant that the line of David would not fail and Christ would sit on his throne and rule Israel.

Psalm 54:2 "Hear my prayer, O God; give ear to the words of my mouth."

Keywords: Old Old Story, Old Testament, Bible Study, Samuel, David. David's Song of Deliverance. Milton Southerland

No comments: