Wednesday, November 26, 2008

David Calls Assembly I Chronicles 28

I Chronicles 28:1 "And David assembled all the princes of Israel,... v2 Then David the king stood up upon his feet and said, Hear me, my brethren, and my people:"

We know from reading Kings that a lot was going on during this time. Another of David's sons was trying to usurp the kingdom from Solomon. David was sick. But on this day, David is much the king.

v4 "Howbeit the LORD God of Israel chose me before all the house of my father to be king over Israel for ever: for he hath chosen Judah to be the ruler; and of the House of Judah, the house of my father, and among the sons of my father he liked me to make me king over all Israel;"

David asserts here the will of God in making him king and in choosing Judah as the ruling family of Israel. There had been division between Judah and the rest of Israel but on this day there was unity. David of Judah was the king. Based on that assertion, David makes the next one.

v5 "And of all my son, (for the LORD hath given me many sons,) he hath chosen Solomon my son to sit upon the throne of the kingdom of the LORD, over Israel."

Of all the sons, perhaps Solomon was an unlikely one to be king. He was not a young man of war as Israel had been accustomed with Saul and David. Solomon had a purpose and that was to build the house of the LORD.

Then David addresses Solomon directly: v10 "Take heed now; for the LORD hath chosen thee to build an house for the sanctuary: be strong and do it."

v11 "Then David gave to Solomon his son the pattern of the porch and of the houses thereof and of the treasuries thereof, ..."

David in other words, gave Solomon the blueprint to be followed and the precious metals to be used in the building. Much had been dedicated to the house of God but David added to that of his personal wealth as we will see in the next chapter.

v20 "And David said, to Solomon his son, Be strong and of good courage, and do it; fear not, nor be dismayed; for the LORD God, even my God, will be with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, until thou hast finished all the work for the service of the house of the LORD."

So David first established the will of God in the minds of the people that his line was the ordained line to the throne. Then, he declares that Solomon is to follow him with the purpose of building the temple. A man of war passes the throne to a man of peace and a builder.

Psalm 4:3 "But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself; the LORD will hear when I call unto him.

David reminds the people that his kingship was ordained of God.

No comments: