Thursday, November 01, 2007

Aaron Dies Numbers 20 Part 4


Numbers 20:24 Aaron shall be gathered unto his people: for he shall not enter into the land which I have given unto the children of Israel because ye rebelled against my word at the water of Meribah."

Aaron's journey ends just short of the promised land. He has been with Moses, in the task of delivering and leading the children, for about 40 years now. He was the mouth piece of Moses on much of the journey. He has also borne the burden and joy of being the high priest of the sanctuary. No doubt, he has spent many hours pouring over the details of the daily sacrifices. Perhaps no one in the congregation has seen as much blood as Aaron.

On this day his garments are removed by Moses and put on Eleazar. There he died in mount Hor. The people mourned for Aaron thirty days "...even all the house of Israel." v29.

The death of Aaron can be considered the turning point for Israel. They no longer wander. From here on they are a driving force toward the land of Canaan.

Psalm 63:1 "O God, thou are my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is; v2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary."


No comments: