Tuesday, December 02, 2008

David Exhorts I Chronicles 29

I Chronicles 29:1 "Furthermore David the king said unto all the congregation, Solomon my son, whom alone God hath chosen, is yet young and tender, and the work is great; for the palace is not for man, but for the LORD God."

David has grown old and it is time for Solomon to take over the kingdom. We know from reading other passages that David is sick in bed and another of his sons is attempting to take over the kingdom. God has chosen Solomon alone to be king.

I have divided the chapter into sections as I see them: Preaching, giving, thanksgiving, action, reviewing of David's reign.

v3 "Moreover because I have set my affection to the house of my God, I have of mine own proper good, of gold and silver, which I have given to the house of my God, over and above all that I have prepared for the holy house."

David here sets the example on giving. He has already dedicated a lot to the house of God but he now gives of his own property. He calls it his proper good. The people follow suit but the key word is willingly.

v9 Then the people rejoiced for that they offered willingly, because with perfect heart they offered willingly to the LORD; and David the king also rejoiced with great joy."

David now turns to the LORD in prayer. He recognizes that all things belong to God in the first place and they are but giving it back to him.

v14 "But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee."

Amid rejoicing, giving, and thanksgiving, Solomon is made king.

v22 "And did eat and drink before the LORD on that day with great gladness. And they made Solomon the son of David king the second time, and anointed him unto the LORD to be the chief governor, and Zadok to be priest. I Samuel 10:1, I Kings 1:27-35)

So David dies and Solomon is king and we know of his greatness as well as David's. It seems their greatness was for different reasons but I think it was for one reason and that, that they honored God first.

Psalms5:2 "Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King and my God; for unto thee will I pray.

David addresses the people. Solomon is made king.

No comments: