Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Notes On II Chronicles

"And Solomon the son of David was strengthened in his kingdom and the LORD his God was with him, and magnified him exceedingly,"

One striking thing about these times (to me) is the reference to the LORD made by other cultures: 'the LORD his God'. I found writers acknowledging the LORD as a persons God or the God of Israel even though they themselves worshipped other gods. An example is in the next book of Ezra with king Cyrus of Persia.

Both books of Chronicles can be considered one book and were probably written during the captivity in Babylon. Some change in language is reflective of the writers picking up terms from the land they live in. One example is the reference to the house of the LORD as a palace. It was called the tabernacle, sanctuary temple but in I Chronicles 29:1 David refers to it as a palace which was probably a word picked up in Babylon.

Isaiah 1-5 gives a summary of the spiritual state of Israel at the time of this writing with exceptions during the reign of certain kings i.e. Asa and Hezekiah and others. Isaiah 1:8 "And the daughter of Zion is left as a cottage in a vineyard, as a lodge in a garden of cucumbers, as a besieged city."

Before I can go into this book, however, I must get my computer repaired. So for my absence I apologize. I'll get back as soon as I can make repairs or get the money to have someone else do it for me. Keep up your studies.

No comments: