Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Job Repents and is Restored Job 42

Job 42:5-6 "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear; but now mine eye seeth thee, Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes." See also Romans 10:17

I do not want to breeze over this last chapter for it is the conclusion of the matter.

The devil came to God and the LORD mentioned Job. Satan laid down a challenge that if the hedge were taken away, Job would curse God. Well, the afflictions were upon Job while his friends told him it was because of his wickedness. Job held to his integrity but still there was a lesson for him to learn from all of it. Job was a wise man, a prince, a teacher and a man of standing in the world. He was not equal to or above God. He could not demand of God. He must rely on God's grace just as we do.

Job said it like this: v3 "Who is he that hideth counsel without knowledge? therefor have I uttered that I understood not; things too wonderful for me, which I knew not."

I Peter 2:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strength, settle you."

That's four things that can come out of affliction: perfection (not sinless perfection but maturity), stablish, strength, settle you. These are all indications of a mature Christian who knows that what ever happens around us or to us, God is still in control and knows all the circumstances and needs that we are not aware of and the ones we are aware of.

The conclusion that I got from all this was that even when Satan buffets us, we may still have something to learn from what happens. Our praise may be weak and we may get beaten down but our faith can stay intact. These are enduring times and joy will come in the morning.

Psalm 30:4-5 "Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness. For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favor is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning."

After this Job's friends were rebuked and instructed to make appropriate offerings. Then:

v10 "And the LORD turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends: also the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before."

v15 "And in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job: and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren."

v16 "After this lived Job and hundred and forty years, and saw his sons and his sons' sons, even four generations." (140 years)

We have now finished the book of Job. I have often read the book but in this study I discovered the character Elihu who prepared Job to talk with the LORD like John was before Jesus. I learned of the patience of the LORD in dealing with his children even when they get a little full of themselves. I learned that affliction can have some rewards although I do not seek the affliction part. I learned that all must repent and depend on the grace of God and not on our own righteousness.

Psalm 1:6 "For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous; but the way of the ungodly shall perish."

Job repents.

Previous Post

No comments: