Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Peace - Isaiah 66

Isaiah 66:13 "As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem."

Basically, this chapter says, I the Lord started it and will finish it. In the end Jerusalem will be a place of rejoicing.

v9 "Shall I bring to the birth, and not cause to bring forth? saith the LORD; shall I cause to bring forth, and shut the womb? saith thy God."

Remember what we have studied, how the Lord took Abraham on a journey from his home to the land of Canaan. Then, how he multiplied his family after he was old and Sarah was old. Then in travail, he forged a nation from slaves out of the land of Egypt and marched them to victory in Canaan.

The sad part is that after all they they rebelled against Him and worshipped idols. Thus the punishment, but victory will still come.

v15 "For behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire."

We cannot pass this chapter with mentioning verse 12 which I believe the great song "It is Well with my Soul" came. V12"For thus saith the LORD, Behold I will extend peace to her like a river, ..." I Heard a story about the writing of that song which I hope is a true account: A man lost his family on a voyage to America. He journeyed back across the ocean and the captain told him when he reached the spot where his family went into the deep. He then penned the words to the song upon receiving peace in his soul that only God can give in such a tragedy.

"When peace like a river, attendeth my soul and shadows like sea billows roll..."

v23 "And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD."

No comments: