Monday, February 01, 2010

Sought After - Isaiah 65

Isaiah 65:2 "I have spread out my hands all the day unto a rebellious people, which walketh in a way that was not good, after their own thoughts;"

Speaking to Israel in their days of rebellion and idol worship. The Lord is talking to them but they will not listen.

v1 "I am sought of them that asked not for me; I am found of them that sought me not; I said, Behold me, behold me, unto a nation that was not called by my name."

We are seeing the wooing of the Gentiles which we will see happen in the New Testament. They will come to Christ when Israel would not. It is the story of the king who invited guest who would not attend the wedding so he sought those of the highways and byways.

v7 "Your iniquities, and the iniquities of your fathers together, saith the LORD, which have burned incense upon the mountains, and blasphemed me upon the hills; therefore will I measure their former work into their bosom."

These events led up to the coming of Christ although the verses are somewhat shrouded in mystery at this time.

v8 "Thus saith the LORD, as the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it; so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all."

It is wonderful that God is full of mercy and even in rebellion, he will preserve some of the nation.

v17 "For behold I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind." See also 2 Peter 3:13

While the judgment is carried out with Israel, there is a look ahead to a more glorious day.

v19 "And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people, and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying."

Then the promise that the LORD is always near.

v24 "And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear."

From the words of that great song: "There waits for me a glad tomorrow."

No comments: