Thursday, May 06, 2010

Ammonites to Elam - Jeremiah 49

Jeremiah 49:39 "But it shall come to pass in the latter days; that I will bring again the captivity of Elam, saith the LORD."

I've heard the term 'latter days' mentioned all my life. What it tells me is that someday it will all end and there will be a brand new day. Amen.

In this chapter we start with the Ammonites.

There were several Ammon's in the Bible. I'm not clear which one refers to the area by that name.

Amos 1:13 "Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of the children of Ammon, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have ripped up the women with child of Gilead, that they might enlarge their border:" So we see the Lord does remember the innocent.

I remember the Bible saying that Esau is Edom. It refers to him and to the land of Edom.
Also called Idumea when referring to the land.

v7 "Concerning Edom, thus saith the LORD of hosts, Is wisdom no more in Teman? Is counsel perished from the prudent? Is their wisdom vanished?"

So there is judgment on Edom but there is a note concerning the children.

v11 "Leave thy fatherless children, I will preserve them alive; and let thy widows trust in me."

Amos 1:11 "Thus saith the LORD; For three transgression of Edom, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because he did pursue his brother with the sword, and did cast off all pity, and his anger did tear perpetually, and he kept his wrath forever;"

We have heard that name in our news many times.

What does Amos say:

Amos 1:3 "Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have threshed Gilead with threshing instruments of iron;"

Kedar was a son of Ishmael. Ishmael was the son of Abraham by Haggar. Father of many of the tribes of Arabia.

v28 "Concerning Kedar and concerning the kingdoms of Hazor which Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon shall smite, thus saith the LORD; Arise ye, go up to Kedar and spoil the men of the east."

Elam ( I believe this one refers to the descendant of Shem) settled in Persia.

v35 "Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Behold I will break the bow of Elam, the chief of their might."

v38 "And I will set my throne in Elam, and will destroy from thence the king and the princes, saith the LORD."

I believe the Lord is referring to the coming defeat of Babylon mentioned in the next chapter.

No comments: