Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Misery of Jerusalem - Lamentations 1

Lamentations of Jeremiah 1:1 ""How doth the city sit solitary, that was full of people! how is she become as a widow! she that was great among the nations, and princess among the provinces, how is she become tributary!" (subordinate)

There can be no doubt that the punishment was just. Israel, Judah and Jerusalem had turned to idols. They were committing hideous acts in the name of those idols.

v18 "The LORD is righteous, for I have rebelled against his commandment: hear, I pray you, all people, and behold my sorrow, my virgins and my young men are gone into captivity."

This are the words of a broken heart. As we remember past studies, with the glory of king David and Solomon, we can think of the great buildings overlaid with gold and the processions as they came to worship. All that is lost.

v3 "Judah is gone into captivity because of affliction..."

v4 "The ways of Zion do mourn..."

v6 "And from the daughter of Zion all her beauty is departed..."

v7 "Jerusalem remembered in the days of her affliction...all her pleasant things that she had in the days of old..."

v12 "Is it nothing to you, all ye that pass by? behold, and see if there be any sorrow like unto my sorrow, which is done unto me, wherewith the LORD hath afflicted me in the day of his fierce anger."

But remember the previous books we have studied and we will agree that

v18 "The LORD is righteous..."

No comments: