Tuesday, July 13, 2010

His Name's Sake - Ezekiel 20

Ezekiel 20:1 "And it came to pass in the seventh year, in the fifth month, the tenth day of the month, that certain of the elders of Israel came to inquire of the LORD, and sat before me."

Remember the Lord told Ezekiel that to tell the elders that He would not speak to them because they had idols still in their heart. So here, the Lord tells Ezekiel to deal with them.

v3 "Son of man, speak unto the elders of Israel, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Are ye come to inquire of me? As I live, saith the Lord God, I will not be inquired of by you."

This chapter takes Ezekiel back through the history of Israel so that he can tell them the reason they are where they are. It begins in Egypt where they were told to cast off their idols but they did not. It tells of the wilderness where they were given the commandments and to cast off idols but they did not. It tells of Canaan where they were blessed but still they returned to their idols.

The Lord told them that it was because of His own name's sake that he spared them all those times. Also, because the Lord had claimed them as His own, he did not want to punish them in the sight of the heathen.

v9 "But I wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted before the heathen, among whom they were, in whose sight I made myself known unto them, in bringing them forth out of the land of Egypt."

Like sheep who must learn discipline for their own good. The Lord here promises Israel that they will learn and that they will turn from their wickedness.

v37 "And I will cause you to pass under the rod, and I will bring you into the bond of the covenant;"

These words are spread through other verses: v38 "And I will purge..." v35 "I will bring..." v41 "I will accept..."

The Lord is not bringing all this about because Israel has been so good, no, but for His own name's sake. We often refer to our children as our name's sake. So, too, could this be that Jesus as God's son is also His name's sake. I've heard the prayer often, 'for Jesus' sake, Amen'.

I'm glad for Jesus and His righteousness, for I certainly could not get to heaven on my own merits.

v44 "And ye shall know that I am the LORD when I have wrought with you for my name's sake, not according to your corrupt doings, O ye house of Israel, saith the Lord God."

No comments: