Monday, November 13, 2006

Exodus 7 "Let My People Go"

I have had thoughts to the effect that why did God harden Pharaoh's heart with the first plagues. I believe the answer is here in chapter 7. Remember Pharaoh has said he did not know who God was.

Exodus 7:5 "And the Egyptians shall know that I am the Lord, when I stretch forth mine hand upon Egypt and bring out the children of Israel from among them."

And so the contest begins:

v10 Aaron cast down his rod and it became a serpent
v11 Magicians did in like manner
v12 Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods

v16 "And thou shalt say unto him, The Lord God of the Hebrews hath sent me unto thee saying, Let my people go, that they may serve me in the wilderness: and, behold, hitherto thou wouldest not hear."

At this point, the waters are about to be turned to blood. "Let my people go." has become the resounding command from God to Pharaoh. So Aaron stretched out the rod and the great Nile became blood. This went on for seven days.

v24 "And all the Egyptians digged round about the river for water to drink; for they could not drink of the water of the river."

Further down the page there is an animated dramatization of the even at the river.

Psalm 105:26-27 "He sent Moses his servant and Aaron whom he had chosen. They showed his signs among them and wonders in the land of Ham.

This verse in Psalm is very interesting. I did not know that Egypt was the land of Ham or does it mean Canaan when it speaks of 'wonders in the land of Ham', who was one of Noah's sons from Genesis 9:18 "And the sons of Noah, that went forth of the ark, were Shem and Ham and Japheth and Ham is the father of Canaan." Well I am not sure but Psalm 105 does give a good summary of Israel.

Next time we have frogs, lice and flies.

No comments: