Friday, November 10, 2006

Exodus 6 "JEHOVAH"

I do wish we could dive into every area of study we come across in the Bible. There are so many places we could branch out. My the nature of the internet we are limited though. One limitation is that long post seem to not get read as much. The other is that I wanted to move along quickly and give us an overview of the Bible. Perhaps we will get to go back and bring up some particular points later.

Exodus 6:3 "And I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, by the name of God Almighty (Gen38:3) , but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them."

JEHOVAH : he will be . The God of revelation and redemption. Translated (generally) in the English Bible as Lord using small letters.

It is a progression of names revealed by God, as we progress through the Bible, telling more and more about his attributes. Additions are made to the name to reveal more i.e. JEHOVAH-jireh meaning The Lord will see or provide. As used by Abraham when a ram was provided in Isaac's place. Genesis 22:14.

Exodus 6:1 "Then the Lord said unto Moses, Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh: for with a strong hand shall he let them go, and with a strong hand shall he drive them out of his land."

Moses has just finished telling the Lord what a miserable failure the plan to deliver Israel had been. The Lord is not finished yet though. Not only is Pharaoh going to let them go but he will become so anxious to see them leave that he will drive them out.

God made several promises in the next verses:

*v5 I have also heard...I have remembered my covenant.
Moses was agitated but the Lord reminds Moses that he too knows of their groaning and that he has already promised to deliver them.
*v6 I will bring you out...
Telling Moses to tell the people that the promise is still good and it will happen.
*v7 ...I will take you to me for a people...
God said I have come to get you and you are mine and I will take what is mine.
*v8 I will bring you in unto the land....I will give it you for an heritage...
Not only will he bring them out but also into a better place. I like to think he is saying: I'm here to rescue you and I've got a present for you.

The people did not believe this when Moses told them but the Bible says it was because of their anguish and the cruel bondage. They were having a hard time. So God sent them to Pharaoh to tell him again let my people go.

The balance of the chapter is a list of the children of Israel and then a recap of the Lord's command and Moses' objection.

v30 "And Moses said before the Lrod, Behold, I am of uncircumsed lips, and how shall Pharaoh hearken unto me?"

Not only is God delivering Israel but he is showing Pharaoh (who said he did not know him) who he is.

The amazing miracles start in the next chapter.

Proverbs 29:1 "He, that being often reproved hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy."

No comments: