Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Exodus3 "Moses' Excuses"

Below you will find two animated videos concerning Exodus. The first is Moses' escape to the desert. The second is his dealings with Pharaoh.

Exodus 3:10 "Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt."

At this point Moses came up with, what must have seemed to him, several good reasons why he should not be the one to lead Israel out of Egypt.

v11 Who am I that I should go unto Pharaoh
The answer: v12 I will be with thee and as a token Moses would worship upon this mountain. Perhaps Moses was thinking that he was a refugee from his own people and a criminal from the house of Pharaoh and just not the right man for the job.

v13 Who shall I tell them you are or they will wonder who sent me.
The answer: v14 "And God said unto Moses I AM THAT I AM..." Just tell them I AM sent you.

For the next few verses God instructs Moses on the plan. He is to gather the elders and explain that he has come, under God's instruction, to bring them out of Egypt. Then God explain's that Pharaoh will not at first listen. He also tells them to borrow from the Egyptians. This use to seem strange to me but the people have worked for several hundred years as slaves and so they get their wages at last. v21 "And I will give this people favor in the sight of the Egyptians: and it shall come to pass, that, when ye go, ye shall not go empty.

The next chapter is a continuation of the conversation between God and Moses and it grows more intense as Moses makes more excuses.

Psalm 33:12 "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance."

No comments: