Thursday, July 09, 2009

Elihu Part 2 Job 33

Job 33:4 "The spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life."

Elihu continues with is credentials and tells that he is there at Job's request to God. He gives opportunity for objections then since there were none, ask that he be heard.

First he goes right to one of Job's wrongs: Remember Elihu is talking to Job in God's stead.

v8 "Surely thou hast spoken in mine hearing, and I have heard the voice of thy words, saying (Job's words)v9 I am clean without transgression, I am innocent, neither is there iniquity in me."

Then he charges God: v10 "Behold he findeth occasions against me, he counteth me for his enemy."

Elihu's reply: v12 "Behold in this thou art not just: I will answer thee, that God is greater than man."

Although Elihu here explains some things to Job, he says God is not accountable to man.

v13 "Why dost thou strive against him? for he giveth not account of any of his matters."

God does warn people of danger: v15 "In a dream, in a vision of the night...v16 Then he openeth the ears of men...v18 He keepeth back his soul from the pit..."

Man is close to perishing but it takes only the concern of one to stop it.

v23 "If there be a messenger with him, an interpreter, one among a thousand, to show unto man his uprightness; v24 Then he is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom."

Here we are reminded of Jesus and the ransom he paid for lost man. The first speaks to grace not justice and the new birth as in verse 25 "His flesh shall be fresher than a child's: he shall return to the days of his youth: v26 He shall pray unto God, and he will be favorable unto him." See also Luke 23:33

Next we see the importance of repentance: v27 "He looketh upon men and if any say, I have sinned, and perverted that which was right, and it profited me not v28 He will deliver his soul from going into the pit, and his life shall see the light." Also Romans 6:23.

Elihu has told of the love of God. He is not the enemy.

I John 3:1 "Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not."

Elihu explains God's ways to Job.

Previous post

No comments: