Thursday, August 31, 2006

Personal Thoughts about Study

Often we rush to the end of a journey and forget to look at things along the way. Studying the Bible is not about getting through it quickly just to accomplish something. I think it is about enjoying the journey. I do not mean this braggingly but I have a number of Bibles that I have laid up because they are practically worn out. Someday, I hope my children and grandchildren find them precious and want to keep them. I said that to say that each time I start a study of the Bible, it is fresh and new interesting things come out of the study that I had not noticed the other times. So trying to teach the Bible or lead a study is beneficial to the teacher as well as to the student. It forces the teacher to study for one thing. I suppose we all get discouraged from time to time but the wonderful think about the Christian life is that we can start afresh at any point and go forward from there. Of course, there are always regrets of time lost but it is the time left that can be used. We should leave the past there and move forward with what time and ability we have left.

Another thing, there is not a question you can ask that would cause me to reply with anything embarrassing or make anyone feel dumb. Everyone must start someplace in their studies if they are to learn. It is not about who knows how much, at all, but that we are all willing to learn something. Learn one thing today and you will be smarter tomorrow.

No comments: