Friday, August 18, 2006

Post 1 Basic Description of Bible

I have always used the authorized King James version of the Bible. So, I will use it here without apology. I find it written beautifully. While reading, one should consider that the meaning of words have changed over the years, even in the English language. In the southeast, older people will still use words from the Bible in conversation making their speech seem old-fashion to younger folks. 'Reckon' is a common word in the New Testament but may be considered a little 'country' by some. When the Apostle Paul uses the word, I believe he meant the matter was settle in his mind. Mostly though as I've heard it used nowadays, someone might mean 'I suppose so' when they say 'I reckon'.

Now to our topic. The Bible contains 66 books and is divided between the old and new testaments. I've never actually counted to see but they tell me that Psalm 119 is the largest and located in the middle of the Bible. Fascinating because the middle book of the Word is about the Word for the most part. Such as in verse 9 "Wherewithal shall a young man clense his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word." The old testament contains 39 books while the new contains 27. I believe the King James version was translated from Hebrew for the old testament and Greek for the new testament. I did not go to Bible school so any Bible scholars out there may jump in and correct me on that.

I believe the Bible as coming from the mouth of God. Many men put down the words as they received them as evidenced by different writing styles and their signatures. The Bible can be divided into different categories for study purposes. I do not remember a complete list but, of course, it starts with the books of Moses. The middle of the old testament is more poetic and the last part is prophetic, although prophecy is apparent thoughtout the Bible. The new testament starts with the four gospels and the book of Acts which tell the story of Jesus and the acts of the apostles and the young church immediately after the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. After that there are letters written to churches and individuals giving instruction and testimony. The last book is called Revelation. It is often studied in conjunction with the book of Daniel in the old testament because of its description of future events.

The Bible is a wonderful book filled with stories, battles, the making of a great nation, the songs of a shepherd who became king, the rise and fall of empires, the beginning of humanity, our helplessness and hopelessness without God and a magnificent plan to redeem mankind. It is well worth our time to explore it's pages.

No comments: