Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Apostasy Forewarned Deuteronomy 31

Deuteronomy 31:16 "And the LORD said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, and this people will rise up and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them. v17 Then my anger shall be kindled against them...v18 And I will surely hide my face in that day..."

The LORD has already seen the warning signs that Israel will turn away from the teachings so carefully given to them. I heard someone say once that sin will rub off on you quicker than you will rub off on it. In other words, when going out into the streets and byways to witness, be careful that you are not tempted and drawn away.

Israel will forget where they came from, how they are blessed and who blessed them.

v27 "For I know thy rebellion and thy stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive with you this day, ye have been rebellious against the LORD: and how much more after my death?"

The LORD told Moses to teach Israel a song that would be passed down through the generations. It was a way for them to remember their story after they have ignored all the law. When they are in a strange land, far from home, they can sing this song and remember.

v30 "And Moses spake in the ears of all the congregation of Israel the words of this song, until they were ended."

Sin makes God angry. It brings to mind the great sermon by Jonathan Edwards Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. We know him now as the tender one from Nazareth but there will come a day when we stand before Him as judge.

Psalms 18:10 "And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly; yea he did fly upon the wings of the wind."

Milton Southerland, Bible Study, Moses.

No comments: