Saturday, September 23, 2006

Afterthought "Zoar" City of refuge hint

Genesis 19 flashback or afterthought. I was thinking about when Lot was escaping and he asked to go to Zoar. v19-22 "Behold now thy servant hath found grace in thy sight and thou has magnified thy mercy which thou has showed unto me in saving my life and I cannot escape to the mountain lest some evil take me and I die Behold now this city is near to flee unto and it is a little one. Oh let me escape thither (is it not a little one?) and my soul shall live And he said unto him See I have accepted thee concerning this thing also, that I will not overthrow this city for the which thou has spoken. Haste thee escape thither, for I cannot do anything till thou be come thither. Therefore the name of the city was called Zoar." Zoar means smallness.

Later on in the Bible, it will become law to have 6 cities that a person could flee to while the authorities had time to judge the matter whether he was guilty or not. Numbers 35:6 and Joshua 15:59 talk about these cities. They were part of 48 cities given to the priestly tribe of Levi. These were called cities of refuge. I think Zoar is a sort of hint as to what is to come later on.

Jesus Christ is our city of refuge in a spiritual sense. Even though we are guilty, we can flee to him for safety.

I wanted only to mention this here and give the scripture references so you can study it at your leisure. It is a wonderful thought that even when we know we are guilty, there is a place we can flee to for safety. Psalms 46:1, 142:5 Isaiah 4:6, Exodus 21:13, Deuteronomy 18:2-9, Romans 8:1, 33, 34; Philipians 3:9, Hebrews 6:18,19 . All are great scriptures on the subject and comparison between the cities of refuge in the old testament and Christ in the new.

Proverbs 19:19 "A man of great wrath shall suffer punishment: for if thou deliver him, yet thou must do it again."

No comments: