Tuesday, September 19, 2006

How I Study "Genesis 18" Abraham talks to the Lord'

We are in Chapter 18 of Genesis in this study, so already, I know the background for the chapter. Now, I would read the entire chapter to see what it has to say while noticing the various sections if it covers more than one subject. Then, out of curiousity I'd probably read part or all of the next chapter.

In this chapter we know it is about a meeting between Abraham and the Lord by reading verse 1. And the Lord appeared unto him... then we see in the next verses how Abraham is showing hospitality to his very important guest. Then in verse 9 a conversation about Sarah and Abraham having a child comes up and the promise of Issac is made. But we read on and find out that the Lord has stopped by Abrahams tent on the way to someplace else. The Lord decides to tell Abraham of the mission. He is on his way to see for himself the conditions in Sodom and Gomorrah. The balance of the chapter is about Abraham bargainng with the Lord for the cities. As we know, Lot is there. Then the conversation ends and the Lord went his way ...and Abraham returned unto his place.

It is a delightful story in itself without us knowing all the surroundings. So we can make an outline now:
*Abraham sees the Lord coming
*Abraham prepares a meal for the Lord
*They talk about Issac
*They talk about Sodom and Gomorrah
*The Lord continues his mission and Abraham returns to his tent

Next I look for special passages or phrases:
I would noticed that the Lord appeared
that three men stood by him
that Abraham ran
that the Lord said 'I will certainly return unto thee'
the time appointed
verse 17 "And the Lord said Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do; v19 For I know him..."
v21 I will go down
"Shall not the judge of all the earth do right?" Of course, he will.

These are things I would notice. I'd remember the mount of transfiguration where the disciples saw men with the Lord. I have to look it up in Luke 9:28-36 to find out it was two men then Moses and Elias (Elijah) who talked with him then. In Genesis here, we see three men, at least two of which are angels as we will find out in the next chapter. To find out about the two men I had to use my concordance to find the passage because I have forgotten exactly where it was located.

That would take me through the chapter and I'd have a pretty good idea of what was around it as well. I'd think, it is great that there is still at least one man that was righteous enough to carry on a conversation with the Lord. I would also notice that it appears to be a physical conversation as well. It does say 'they did eat' v8. It brings to mind other subjects but I would try to concentrate on this one. For example, that men have entertained angels unaware. You can find that verse to practice with your concordance.

I may add a verse from proverbs everyday if I can remember so here's one:

Proverbs 27:1 "Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth."

No comments: