Thursday, May 22, 2008

Amalekites Story of Saul's Death II Samuel 1

II Samuel 1:6 "And the young man that told him said, As I happened by chance upon mount Gilboa, behold, Saul leaned upon his spear; and , lo, the chariots and horsemen followed hard after him. v8 And he said unto me, Who art thou? And I answered him I am an Amalekite. He said unto me again, Stand, I pray thee, upon me, and slay me for anguish is come upon me, because my life is yet whole in me. v10 So I stood upon him, and slew him..."

These verses are a quote of what the Amalekite said to David as opposed to I Samuel 30 where we are given a Bible narrative of what happened. The stories do not match and I'll take the Bible narrative instead of what an AWOL Amalekite told David. It is obvious that the Amalekite knew that Saul and David were at odds with each other and hoped to win David's favor by telling him he had killed his enemy. I believe Saul killed himself to keep from being taken by the Philistines.

David is not pleased that the Amalekite would take upon himself to kill one anointed of God.

v14 "And David said unto him, How wast thou not afraid to stretch forth thine hand to destroy the LORD's anointed? v15 And David called one of the young men, and said, Go near, and fall upon him, And he smote him that he died."

So, except for recovery of the bones of Saul and Jonathan, Saul's story ends and David's story begins. David laments their deaths with touching words in the balance of this chapter.

v24 "Ye daughters of Israel, weep over Saul, who clothed you in scarlet, with other delights, who put on ornaments of gold upon your apparel."

and for Jonathan:

v26 "I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan; very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women. v27 How are the mighty fallen and the weapons of war perished!"

Israel came out of bondage and wandered in the wilderness and fought their way into a land flowing with milk and honey. They are now fighting on every side and amongst themselves.
David must bring unity to the new nation.

Psalm 10:17-18 "Lord, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear: To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress."

Keywords: Bible Study, Old Testament, Israel, Saul, David, Jonathan, Milton Southerland. Saul has died and David reigns in Judah.

No comments: