Saturday, May 17, 2008

David with the Enemy, Saul and the Witch I Samuel 28

I Samuel 28:1 "And it came to pass in those days, that the Philistines gathered their armies together for warfare, to fight with Israel. And Achish said unto David, Know thou assuredly, that thou shalt go out with me to battle, thou and thy men."

A major offensive is planned by the Philistines. It would take place in the north while David was operating in the south (Judah). King Achish told David he would be fighting with him. He was drafted. The battle took place in Issachar's area near the northern end of the Jordan River as you look at a map.

v4 And the Philistines gathered themselves together, and came and pitched in Shunem: and Saul gathered all Israel together, and they pitched in Gilboa."

These two mountains face each other and the battle would traditionally take place in the valley between. Saul was very distressed when he saw the number of the enemy. He prayed but God was silent to him.

v7 "Then said Saul unto his servants, Seek me a woman that hath a familiar spirit, that I may go to her, and enquire of her. And his servants said to him, Behold there is a woman that hath a familiar spirit at Endor."

Endor is located on the side of mountain the Philistines are gathered on, so Saul put on a disguise and went over to talk to the witch. Whether the witch actually called up Samuel or it was something else is debated. Either way, Saul did not get the answer he was looking for.

v15 "And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.

v16 "Then said Samuel, Wherefore ten dost thou ask of me, seeing the LORD is departed from thee, and is become thine enemy?"

Well, Saul got quite an ear full: the LORD had departed Saul, The kingdom was taken from him, David would get the kingdom, Israel would be lost, Saul and his sons would die.

Saul was faint at all this and at first refused food but was pressed by those around him to eat and he finally did. The chapter ends there. David is set to fight with the Philistines and Saul has stooped to getting help from a witch. It does not look good but we will see how it works out soon.

Psalm 49:20 "Man that is in honour, and understandeth not, is like the beasts that perish."

Keywords: Bible study, Old Testament, Israel, Judah, Saul, David, Philistines,Endor, Milton Southerland

No comments: