Wednesday, May 07, 2008

David on the Run I Samuel 21

I Samuel 21:1 "Then came David to Nob to Ahimelech the priest: and Ahimelech was afraid at the meeting of David, and said unto him, Why art thou alone, and no man with thee?"

(Note: the priest name is Ahimelech not Amalek who was of Edom or Abimelech notice the 'b' instead of the 'h' in the spelling)

Ahimelech was taken back because David did not have men with him. He was after all a warrior for the kingdom. David lied that he was on a secret mission and did not have time to even get his sword and other gear. David was also hungry and asked for bread. There was none except the showbread (shewbread) which the priest gave to David. See Exodus 25:30. John 6:33-35.

Ahimelech also received the sword of Goliath which the priest had kept and wrapped in cloth.

v10 "And David arose, and fled that day for fear of Saul, and went to Achish the king of Gath."

Here David was scoffed at as the king of the land v11. He pretended to be a mad man and was turned away by Achish.

v15 "Have I need of mad men, that ye have brought this fellow to play the mad man in my presence? shall this fellow come into my house?"

So David, the slayer of tens of thousands, is rejected. He was without weapons and hungry. Now, he must move on again.

Matthew 25:34 "Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me."

We are on a journey with David. From a shepherd to the slayer of Goliath and anointed king. It seems that now he must endure the suffering that comes before all great deeds.

Psalm 136:1 "O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever."

keywords: Bible study, Old Testament, Israel, Judah, David, Jonathan, Saul, showbread,Goliath, Milton Southerland


No comments: