Friday, May 09, 2008

David Rescues City of Keilah I Samuel 23 & 24

I Samuel 23:1 "Then they told David, saying, Behold the Philistines fight against Keilah, and they rob the threshingfloors."

David is already being pursued by Saul the king. Now word comes to him that the Philistines are overwhelming a city and robbing it. It would be dangerous for him to come out of hiding but with the heart of a king he wants to help his people. His men are fearful.

v3 "And David's men said unto him, Behold, we be afraid here in Judah: how much more then if we come to Keilah against the armies of the Philistines?"

One thing we are learning about David is that he is a praying man. He has already prayed in verse 2 but with the fear of his men in mind he goes to the LORD again.

v4 "Then David enquired of the LORD yet again. And the LORD answered him and said, Arise, go down to Keilah: for I will deliver the Philistines into thine hand."

David was successful in rescuing Keilah but Saul has learned that he is in the city. Instead of being thankful that Keilah was saved by David, Saul wants to use the opportunity to get rid of David.

v8 "And Saul called all the people together to war, to go down to Keilah to besiege David and his men."

So David goes to the LORD again to find out what will happen.

v10 "Then said David, O LORD God of Israel, thy servant hath certainly heard that Saul seeketh to come to Keilah, to destroy the city for my sake. v12 Then said David, Will the men of Keilah deliver me and my men into the hand of Saul? And the LORD said, They will deliver thee up."

So David fled to the wilderness and remained in a mountain but Saul still sought him. During this time Jonathan came to David to reassure him that he would be alright and someday be king. There were some people called Ziphites in the area and they spied that David was there and told Saul. Saul sent them back to keep and eye on David but David moved from Ziph to Maon. Saul heard that too and went after David.

v26 "And Saul went on this side of the mountain, and David and his men on that side of the mountain: and David made haste to get away for fear of Saul: for Saul and his men compassed David and his men round about to take them."

It seems David is trapped but remember David is a praying man. The LORD is watching and it just so happened that the Philistines choose this time to stir up trouble so Saul had to go fight them.

v27 "But there came a messenger unto Saul, saying Haste thee, and come: for the Philistines have invaded the land."

v29 "And David went up from there and dwelt in strong holds at Engedi."

My note: I expect that about this time David is missing the quiet of being a shepherd. His life changed though when he was anointed to be king and his life would never be the same. These preparations to be king are a difficult time for David but one can see in Psalms how they affected his heart and gives us many verses to comfort us. There is a great price to pay to lead.

Psalm 27:1 "The LORD is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?"

A Study of the Bible starting in Genesis and we are now up to Samuel and the life of David. Saul is trying to kill him. We have learned that David is a man of prayer. Milton Southerland

I forgot chapter 24 or it did not take (getting old and bad memory) so I will put it here:

I Samuel 24:1 "And it came to pass, when Saul was returned from following the Philistines that it was told him saying, Behold, David is in the wilderness of En-gedi."

This is goat country and a very rocky area with at least one cave. Saul is seeking David and goes into one of these caves to rest. While he is asleep we find that David is also in the cave and is standing back in the dark areas.

v4 "And the men of David said unto him, Behold the day of which the LORD said unto thee, Behold, I will deliver thine enemy into thine hand, that thou mayest do to him as it shall seem good unto thee. Then David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul's robe privily,"

One thing to note here: I cannot remember the verse David's man quoted. I think it was not so accurate. David did let Saul know he had been there though by cutting off part of his robe. David regretted that action later though.

v8 "David also arose afterward and went out of the cave and cried after Saul saying, My lord the king. And when Saul looked behind him, David stooped with is face to the earth, and bowed himself."

David pleaded his case with Saul and wondered to him why he was being chased.

v14 "After whom is the king of Israel come out? after whom dost thou pursue? after a dead dog, after a flea."

Saul responds, although I think not so sincerely.

v17-18 "And he said to David, Thou art more righteous than I: for thou hast rewarded me good, whereas I have rewarded thee evil, And thou hast shewed this day how that thou hast dealt well with me: forasmuch as wen the LORD had delivered me into thine hand, thou killedst me not."

Here Saul is trying to kill David yet David shows mercy and even promised to not utterly destroy Saul's family but he had already promised that to his friend Jonathan.

Psalm 26:2 "Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart."



No comments: