Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Job Expostulates Job 7

Job 7:4 "When I lie down, I say, When shall I arise, and the night be gone? and I am full of tossings to and fro unto the dawning of the day."

Job has no rest. In this chapter Job reasons about his condition in the form of a prayer. They are words of anguish.

loathsome: repulsive, to dislike greatly, to abominate, to hate

Such is Job's condition, as he describes it.

v5 "My flesh is clothed with worms and clods of dust; my skin is broken, and become loathsome."

He is as a dead man except he has all his senses. He is in a horrible state. He reasons that the grave would be better.

v9 "As the cloud is consumed and vanisheth away, so he that goeth down to the grave shall come up no more."

Even in sleep, he is tormented. v13 "When I say, My bed shall comfort me, my couch shall ease my complaint; v14 Then thou scarest me with dreams, and terrifiest me through visions: v15 So that my soul chooseth strangling, and death rather than my life."

Job has kept his integrity but finally admits to sin but not a particular sin. He must have assumed that some sin existed for him to have to suffer, so he confesses.

v20 "I have sinned; what shall I do unto thee, O thou preserver of men? why hast thou set me as a mark against thee, so that I am a burden to myself?"

Job is resigned to die but as we know his life was preserved by the word of God.

v21 "And why dost thou not pardon my transgression, and take away mine iniquity? for now shall I sleep in the dust; and thou shalt seek me in the morning, but I shall not be."

I know that God is love and surely there was no greater love than when the Father gave his Son for our sins. When I look into the heavens and see the vastness, when I learn of the intricate makeup of a person and how it still baffles the brightest minds, I can only wonder at the awesomeness of God and realize that I am to finite to understand his ways except that I know in the person of the LORD Jesus Christ. He came as a man to help us grasp the love of God. Job did not have the story of Jesus and the explanations of the mystery of God as revealed to us in the gospels and Paul's writings and the rest of the New Testament. Job did not understand.

Romans 16:24 "Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, v26 But now is made manifest..."

Job prays.
Previous post.


No comments: