Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Job Speaks, Eliphaz stops Job 6

Job 6:25-27 "How forcible are right words! but what doth your arguing reprove? Do ye imagine to reprove words, and the speeches of one that is desperate, which are as wind? Yea, ye overwhelm the fatherless, and ye did a pit for your friend."

I couldn't have said it better myself. Job is really having a hard time. He has lost about everything and is in great physical distress. Now his friend has attacked his spiritual state. Job basically called him a windbag.

v2 "Oh that my grief were thoroughly weighed, and my calamity laid in the balances together. v3 For now it would be heavier than the sand of the sea: therefore my words are swallowed up."

We might say,'I just don't feel like talking right now.' But Job did speak to his friend. He did not find comfort in his friends words though.

Job goes on to express his feelings inside and does make a confession here.

v7 "The things that my soul refused to touch are as my sorrowful meat."

Apparently there were things that Job just did not have a taste for normally but now in his physical stress, he is forced to eat bland food such as egg whites and food without salt. When I had radiation, I lost my taste buds and everything tasted like sulfur. It was not a pleasant time for me.

Job then talks directly about his friend. He tells him he should have had pity rather than telling him what all he must have surely done wrong.

v14 "To him that is afflicted pity should be showed from his friend; but he forsaketh the fear of the Almighty."

The friend has forsaken, not Job.

Job then describes his friends as he sees them. In verse 17, he hints that they leave him when they get uncomfortable because of the elements. He tells them that they are confused because they did not have the answers in verses 20-21. In 22 he challenges them to teach him and he will listen. Then he tells them that he asked for nothing from them.

Even in his state of agony, Job is teaching his friends.

v28 "Now therefore be content, look upon me; for it is evident unto you if I lie."

Job tells his friends they know him well enough to know if he is speaking the truth or not.

Psalm 62:5 "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him."

Job talks back to Eliphaz.

Previous post.

No comments: