Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Job as Rich Man Job 29

Job 29:6 "When I washed my steps with butter, and the rock poured me out rivers of oil;"

That is a picture of a man who had plenty. Butter and oil would have been precious commodities.

Job in the continuation of his parable becomes personal with the life he once lived when all of heavens blessings were on him and he was a prince among men.

v2 "Oh, that I were as in months past, as in the days when God preserved me; v3 When his candle shined on my head, and when by his light I walked through darkness."

In all this, Job still gives God credit for the good times he has had. I find no bitterness toward God, only a sense that Job feels God has left him.

v5 "When the Almighty was yet with me, when my children were about me;"

Job was a man of position then but now he is a sick old man waiting to die. No wonder he is a little discouraged. I would be.

v10 "The nobles held their peace, and their tongue cleaved to the roof of their mouth." Referring to being in Job's presence, no doubt, waiting for what he would say.

v23 "And they waited for me as for the rain; and they opened their mouth wide as for the latter rain."

The people craved the leadership of Job and he guided them. It's different now. Job has lost his health, his family, his means and his position among men. In the next chapter, Job makes the comparison with his present condition to the way it was.

Psalm 20:7 "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God."

Job describes himself as a man of position and means.

Previous post.

No comments: