Monday, June 01, 2009

Job waits for Grave Job 17

I apologize for being gone a week. We had our children and grandchildren down. We had not seen the grandchildren for over a year.

Job 17:11 "My days are past, my purposes are broken off, even the thoughts of my heart."

Job is a broken man. His friends do nothing but condemn him. His servants no longer obey and his family is dead or alienated from him. He is alone with his thoughts and prayers except for the daily badgering of those he once called his friends.

v2 "Are there not mockers with me? and doth not mine eye continue in their provocation?"

Job seems to have accepted death. He remembers his past glory and recognizes his present state.

v6 "He hath made me also a byword of the people; and aforetime I was a tabret."

I could not find a meaning for the word tabret but as it is used, it sounds like a person of position.

In chapter 29 we will see the man this poor wretch once was. v6 "..I washed my steps with butter..." v8 "The young men saw me, and hid themselves: and the aged arose, and stood up." v9 "The princes refrained talking..." v10"The nobles held their peace..."v21 "Unto me men gave ear, and waited..." v25 "I chose out their way, and sat chief, and dwelt as a king in the army, as one that comforteth the mourners."

Job was a great man and worthy of respect. He was a leader and the people trusted him.

Job will learn another lesson in this powerful book of the Bible. You have heard the phrase 'what do you give a man who has everything'. I suppose we could wonder hear "What do you teach a man who seems to be the smartest man around?' We will see later as Job deals with this terrible test in his life.

It draws me to the sufferings of Jesus and the question "How does sinful man a approach a perfect God without instant destruction?" The answer was to have someone who was sinless, present his case. As Job said "Job 16:21 "O that one might plead for a man with God, as a man pleadeth for his neighbor!" See also Psalm 22.

Job 1:8 "And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?"

Job accepts the grave.

Previous post.

No comments: