Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Resurrection Job 19

Job 19:25-27 "For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth; And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself and mine eyes shall behold and not another; though my reins be consumed within me."

I put those verses first because I see them as the crowning jewel of this chapter if not the entire book of Job. We often hear of the patience of Job, and he had great patience with his friends. But here is a demonstration of Job's faith. Faith that reaches beyond his present state into the future where his redemption is sure.

v2 "How long will ye vex my soul, and break me in pieces with words?"

Words can be painful, unlike the famous saying about sticks and stones. Being a writer myself, I am aware that words can be used as weapons and I try not to do that. Job was the sufferer, the victim if you will, but he is put on the witness stand by his friends where they attacked him as if they were three prosecuting attorneys.

He cautions his friends about using his own distress to magnify themselves.

v5-6 "If indeed ye will magnify yourselves against me, and plead against me my reproach; Know now that God hath overthrown me, and hath compassed me with his net."

I think Job is telling his friends that he does not need to be reproached by them if he has erred because God has already seen his errors and is the final judge of the matter.

We see in the middle of the chapter Job's position with his closest people.

v13 "He hath put my brethren far from me, and mine acquaintance are verily estranged from me."

v15 "They that dwell in mine house, and my maids, count me for a stranger: I am an alien in their sight."

v16 "I called my servant, and he gave me no answer..."

v17 "My breath is strange to my wife..."

v18 "Yea, young children despised me;..."

Job gives his friends a run down of what all he has lost. He paints a picture of him loosing his position, his family, his friends and his very flesh. So, why do his friends see a need to further mock him.

v22 "Why do ye persecute me as God, and are not satisfied with my flesh?"

Then in the last verses Job is again the teacher. He points out that the problem is not with himself but with them and they should be careful.

v28 "But ye should say, Why persecute we him, seeing the root of the matter is found in me?"

Why are people hungry? We could point out their lifestyle and the mistakes they have made that put them in their situation. In reality, those people are hungry because we judged them instead of stopping to fed them. They are guilty of being hungry, we are guilty of 'passing on the other side of the road'. Who has the problem?

Psalm 147:11 "The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy."

Job speaks of the resurrection and hope after death.

Previous post.

No comments: