Wednesday, June 09, 2010

The Call - Ezekiel 2

Ezekiel 2:7 "And thou shalt speak my words unto them, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear: for they are most rebellious."

I can wonder what Ezekiel was doing with his life before that day. He surely had some plans of his own. He is perhaps still in some shock over current events. Maybe, he was just going about making the best of the situation. Perhaps he was just pondering what to do as he was down by the river Che'bar. When

"The word of the LORD came expressly unto Ezekiel..."

Ezekiel has seen the vision of which we can only make an effort to describe as in chapter 1. Then the LORD speaks:

v1 "And he said unto me, Son of man, stand upon thy feet, and I will speak unto thee."

So, why did he have to be told to stand on his feet:

Chapter 1, verse 28 "...I fell upon my face,..."

We will notice that Ezekiel had a real physical reaction to such an awesome sight. He had to have some help getting up.

v2 "And the spirit entered into me when he spake unto me, and set me upon my feet, that I heard him that spake unto me."

The commission: v3 "And he said unto me, Son of man, I send thee to the children of Israel, to a rebellious nation that hath rebelled against me; they and their fathers have transgressed against me, even unto this very day."

The person who will go is specific: Ezekiel, Son of man, thee.

The people he is to speak to is specific: Children of Israel

The problem: They have transgressed against me (God).

How have they transgressed:

v4 "For they are impudent children and stiffhearted..."

What is Ezekiel to say to them:

v4 "...and thou shalt say unto the, Thus saith the Lord God."

The excuses are skipped over and the resolution is wrapped up in this verse:

v5 "And they, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear, (for they are a rebellious house,) yet shall know that there hath been a prophet among them."

It would seem that Ezekiel had just been called to a glorious position in life. He was to be a prophet. We will see later that the only glory in his mission was is obedience.

v6 "And thou, son of man, be not afraid of them, neither be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns be with thee, and thou dost dwell among scorpions; be not afraid of their words, nor be dismayed at their looks, though they be a rebellious house."

Okay Ezekiel you are called and you will speak my words. The people may or may not heed them but speak anyway so they know you were there. It will be tough. They are rebellious and the conditions may be tough. Then a verse of caution for the priest/prophet.

v8 "But thou, son of man, hear what I say unto thee; Be not thou rebellious like that rebellious house; open thy mouth, and eat that I give thee."


So the written word was laid out for Ezekiel and in it were "...lamentations, and mourning, and woe."

In this book, we will see very specific sights that depict the rebellion and idol worship of Israel. One phrase that comes up most often is this:

"...Ye shall know that I am the LORD."

No comments: