Thursday, June 24, 2010

Glory of the LORD - Ezekiel 10

Ezekiel 10:4 "Then the glory of the LORD went up from the cherub, and stood over the threshold of the house; and the house was filled with the cloud, and the court was full of the brightness of the LORD's glory."

This is in contrast to back in Solomon's day of building the temple, then the Lord was coming in, now he is leaving the house. I picture him sitting in his chariot then getting up to walk out of the temple. It was a sad day for Israel.

v1 "Then I looked, and behold in the firmament that was above the head of the cherubim there appeared over them as it were a sapphire stone, as the appearance of the likeness of a throne."

Now the one on the throne speaks to the man in linen. He is to get fire from under the throne. The chapter goes into a description of the cherubim, cherub and the wheels after the brief glimpse of the one on the throne. It is understandable, eyes of flesh could not capture the beauty of Him, nor are they allowed to do so. The glory from Him is so great that the best the writer can do is describe the brightness of gems that we consider, perhaps, the most beautiful things on earth.

v2 "And he spake unto the man clothed with linen, and aid, Go in between the wheels, even under the cherub, and fill thine hand with coals of fire from between the cherubim, and scatter them over the city. And he went in in my sight."

The only way I could possibly name what Ezekiel saw upon which the Lord's throne stood, is that I think of it as a living chariot. The description is there to read, here in chapter 10. I don't know how much we are suppose to understand.

From what I can visualize, I see the Lord stepping down off this 'living chariot' and walking out of the temple. BUT that is just my thoughts.

v20 "This is the living creature that I saw under the God of Israel by the river of Chebar; and I knew that they were the cherubim."

v18 "Then the glory of the LORD departed from off the threshold of the house, and stood over the cherubim."

I admit that I am a writer and do see things in story form. In reading this over and over, the sight I saw was the Lord sitting upon the cherubim, then stepping down to walk out of the house built for him, then being back on the cherubim again after he left the threshold.

No comments: