Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hair - Ezekiel 5

Ezekiel 5:12 "A third part of thee shall die with the pestilence, and with famine shall they be consumed in the midst of thee; and a third part shall fall by the sword, round about thee; and I will scatter a third part into all the winds, and I will draw out a sword after them."

In this chapter, Ezekiel is again to use an illustration to describe what is to happen to Israel. Ezekiel is instructed to shave his hair and divide it into three parts to represent the children of Israel or perhaps more specifically, those that are left in the land and Jerusalem.

v1 "And thou, son of man, take thee a sharp knife, take thee a barber's razor, and cause it to pass upon thine head and upon thy beard: then take thee balances to weigh, and divide the hair."

The next verse tells what Ezekiel is to do with the hair. It represents v12 where God tells what he will do with the children of Israel.

v2 "Thou shalt burn with fire a third part in the midst of the city, when the days of the siege are fulfilled: and thou shalt take a third part, and smite about it with a knife: and a third part thou shalt scatter in the wind; and I will draw out a sword after them."

A small portion of hair was to be hidden under Ezekiel's clothes. After which, he was to cast them into a fire.

Judgment has come to Jerusalem.

In this chapter, God explains how he has brought Jerusalem forth in sight of the nations and exalted the city. Yet not even those nations around them have sinned as they have.

v6 "And she hath changed my judgments into wickedness more than the nations, and my statutes more than the countries that are round about her; for they have refused my judgments and my statutes, they have not walked in them."

It goes no to describe the very bad conditions of a siege. It was so bad that the Lord said he had never done it before nor would do again.

v9 "And I will do in thee that which I have not done, and whereunto I will not do anymore the like, because of all thine abominations."

I remember reading about Abraham, Issac and Jacob and the promises made to them. I remember their mischief and their faith. From that heritage a nation was born to love God. But they were easily deceived and tempted by the pagan beliefs of the land they possessed. It is for these sins that they are being judged.

v11 "Wherefore, as I live, saith the Lord God, Surely because thou hast defiled my sanctuary with all thy detestable things, and with all thine abominations, therefore will I also diminish thee; neither shall mine eye spare, neither will I have any pity."

Later we will see what they were doing in the sanctuary that was dedicated to the Lord. We will also see as the glory of the Lord departs the place.

No comments: