Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Parents Leviticus 20 Part 3

Leviticus 20:9 "For everyone that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."

It is a good thing that we are under grace in our day. I've never seen such a time when children were so disrespectful to their parents. I've seen them talk to their parents worse than I would ever talk to a yard dog, even if it was worthless and wouldn't hunt.

The Lord takes children's attitudes toward parents very seriously.

Chapter 19 puts it this way: v3 "Ye shall fear every man his mother, and his father..."

Exodus 20:12 tells us"Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee."

Show me a child that is disrespectful to their parents and I will show you a child that does not honor and respect God in their life. It is from parents that children learn to respect and obey authority. For those who rebel against their parents, even when parents try their very best to be good examples, we can but pray that they will be touched in some way to see their need for the Lord. Only God can break up a hard heart.

Over and over the Bible exhorts children to honor their parents. It even has a promise for those who do so, "...that thy days may be long..."

We indeed live in troubled times. Parents must compete with television and peer pressure as they try to direct their children. These influences are very strong on young minds. I heard it often as ours grew up. "I just want to spend time with my friends." It made no difference to try to explain that those friends were doing bad things.

We cannot give up the battle though. God can move in ways that we can not imagine. The children are worth it even if the hurt us deeply.

Proverbs 7:1 "My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee."

v5 "That they may keep thee from the strange woman, from the stranger which flattereth with her words."


No comments: